The SHV Energy Group, a global player on the energy market, faced the challenge of a company-wide cloud migration and launching a digital environment for efficient cooperation. Thanks to the modern workplace solutions proposed by Sii Poland, the Microsoft 365 migration and adoption process has been carried out safely and has not disturbed the daily work of the organization. The project covered over 15 countries on 3 continents.
Digital transformation strategy of the global concern
SHV Energy is a multinational group of specialized energy companies. In Poland specifically, SHV Energy supports clean energy through oil to gas conversion with its Gaspol entity.
Building a modern work environment based on cloud solutions was a part of a larger unification, centralization and transfer of the key collaboration systems to the cloud. The project was unique because of its scope: it included the migration of dozens of subsidiary companies located on multiple continents to one common IT environment.
The decision was driven by the company’s desire to:
- Support their office collaboration space: Leverage Microsoft Teams and SharePoint for planned and ad-hoc conferencing and data sharing
- Drive security and compliance: Apply central governance to data-storage
- Leverage cloud-based technology to maintain software concurrency: To make sure that all of SHV Energy’s people have access to the same and latest productivity software
- Leverage economies of scale: One Enterprise-wide agreement with Microsoft instead of each of SHV Energy’s Businesses procuring subscriptions individually.
– Why did SHV Energy choose Sii? We have an extensive experience as your digital transformation consultant when it comes to implementation of cloud computing. Thanks to our deep understanding of individual sectors, the company is fully prepared to meet specific requirements and security criteria, such as those specific to the utilities industry or public institutions – says Piotr Żukowski, Head of Public & Utilities Industry at Sii Poland.
Digital workspace solutions as a part of the digital revolution
Cooperation began with a series of Microsoft365 workshops. Sii sent a group of experts from Poland to work with the client on site, in an effort to develop a cloud migration strategy for the future. The second part of the project focused on the intranet launch plan.
Sii prepared a new corporate intranet for SHV Energy HQ based on SharePoint modern experience. In the past, SHV Energy implemented SharePoint On-Premise to build their heavily used intranet space and it was time to move on to the new platform: a safe and secure, cloud-based solution. It opened up more possibilities for the company’s further development in almost every field of everyday work.
– During the migration process, Sii transferred about 100 site collections. We had done our best to ensure that the migration was a quick, safe process and that it wouldn’t have any negative impact on the normal activities of day-to-day work – says Szymon Bochniak, Delivery Manager at Sii Poland.
The SHV’s SharePoint Online migration was complete within a month.
The importance of a well-rounded user adoption strategy
– During implementation we put a lot of effort in user adoption activities, as a crucial part of a smooth transition process – says Daniel Wiechczyński, Delivery Manager at Sii Poland.
– It was expressed in particular by the work we did with the users on site. We were dedicated to guiding SHV Energy throughout the whole process. With that in mind, we organized a series of M365 training sessions, starting with the most important applications: SharePoint, One Drive and MS Teams – adds Bartosz Wojciechowski, Architect at Sii Poland.
After the first series of meetings, Sii team moved on to further training and focused on the individual needs of the future Microsoft 365 users. Our consultants were available for weeks to answer any questions, assist with the transition and quickly help with any issues that might have appeared once the tools were launched company-wide.
Digital transformation effects
Since starting the project with Sii, SHV Energy has seen many positive results, the most important of which were:
- Limiting the number of required travel and improving communication thanks to MS Teams,
- Boosting productivity by making it easy for the company employees to work together, collaborate globally in real-time, create a virtual office where users can work with their data securely while they’re on the go,
- Reduction of operational and maintenance cost of on-premise licenses and the server infrastructure,
- Improving data security and availability.
The only way everybody should follow
We live in a time of revolutionary changes in working methods, tools, but also work habits. The 4th industrial revolution is already affecting practically all branches of the economy today, although the manner and speed of implementing digital solutions for business differ from one sector to another.
– Public utility enterprises are also changing. They are beginning to use new methods of information processing and cloud services with greater conviction, providing their employees with a modern workplace, digital workspace. You can say there is no coming back. Today, it is no longer possible to achieve greater efficiency or attract qualified staff without providing people with attractive working conditions and modern tools. SHV Energy is a good example for all utility companies to follow – says Piotr Żukowski.
To find out more about Sii Poland’s solutions for utilities – contact us.
Download our Microsoft 365 migration checklist
Take advantage of our bespoke checklist to make sure your migration process is seamless and safe